The two types of riding:

Hey friends,

In my world, there are really two types of riding that occupy my time. I know there are countless other types, but these are really the only two that I've ever had a heart for.

The first type is what this blog has really been about the whole time, which is training for a race-type event. Sure, none of the events I'm participating in are actually races. No one will win them, and no one besides me will be keeping track of my time. But it requires athleticism and focus, and all of that comes with training. And I love it! I never thought I would, but I absolutely love it.

But today I'm realizing I'm falling in love with the second type of riding all over again.

It's what got me into this mess in the first place, and that's riding as a means of transportation. I'm at point A, I need to get to point B, and my bicycle is the only way I'm getting there. I love this! There's such a challenge in it. How do I get all my stuff there? How do I dress appropriately for the ride while also being socially acceptable when I arrive at the meeting/work/grocery store. I love getting groceries by bike. It's such a challenge! And it's so rewarding. I feel alive being out in nature, even if "nature" means the busy roadways of Route 19

This week, my bike has sat in the driveway the entire time. It hasn't left since Sunday for church. To get to work, I rode the bike. To get to a meeting at the mall, I rode the bike. To get to breakfast at Pamelas, I rode the bike. Now I'm staring Friday in the face, complete with predicted thunderstorms, and I'm thinking an unbroken 7 days of riding would be an accomplishment worth the discomfort.

Are there any fellow commuters out there? And if so, as I'm thinking about tomorrow, do you have any suggestions for rain gear? :)

Godspeed,

Jason


1 comments:

SarahFett said...

I am so proud of you, J!

I think you meant that your CAR sat in the driveway all week, not your bike.

Love,
Sarah

Post a Comment